Saturday, April 3, 2010

lampshade song

“lampshade song”


Main fear is things being put into eyes

Cry and it is like 40 days and nights

Whole world encompassed between eyelash hairs

Watch the birds drown in flight in midair


The sky is unwaveringly dim today

Same color as in the dreamtime

You can watch your capillaries pulse and wriggle across it

Forecast tonight is entire world being removed by absence of cognition


My eyes will constrict telescopically like

Lampshades when there is an excess of light

I daze as my car careens into pointillist pines

I wish NPR was playing instead of forecast at nine



this song was written for an NPR contest for making a song in one weekend using a select word such as lampshade. It focuses on two of my biggest fears, the second unstated one which is dying by driving a car off the side of an icy mountain. As our protaganist falls asleep at the wheel this is what happens to him, and in his last moment of cognizance he wishes another radio station was playing, as did I when a shitty country station was on and my band’s van was spinning out across two lanes of icy interstate and down a hill and towards what I supposed was going to be death. The song appends RURARY and is the only one without the lyrics included, as they were in a notebook that had been washed in a pair of pants I rarely wear and not rediscovered until today.


http://www.mediafire.com/?nyjjx2nniny

No comments:

Post a Comment